1. My magic wand would get rid of racism, crime, ignorance and mistrust. We all need each other. Black, white, Hispanic and Asian. Detroit and suburbs. One reason we do not grow is because we do not work together and we are afraid of one another.
2. My magic wand would extend Detroit from the Detroit River to the farthest edges of Macomb, Oakland and Wayne Counties. We’d be one because we’d be fighting for the same goals.
3. My magic want would build one more Ford, Chrysler and GM plant in the area of our choice. They’d have three shifts going and each would be surrounded by bars, restaurants and neighborhoods.
4. My magic wand would tear down every abandoned house in Detroit and replace it with affordable housing that people would be proud to move to.
5. My magic wand would eliminate dead beat dads and mothers who do not care. If you have a child out of wedlock you’d take care of those children and be in their lives. How about actually getting married? A major reason why Detroit is on its knees is because the family structure is weak. There are too many single parent households.
6. My magic wand would turn downtown into a walkable downtown. Today, there are pockets of nice spots to go to. I’d bridge Bricktown to Greektown, to the stadium district to Fort Street.
7. My magic wand would build a giant and shiny Motown Museum next to a giant and shiny Michigan Sports Hall of Fame. We love sports and this town is know for its music. Let’s display it and be proud of it.
8. My magic wand would return some of Detroit’s old traditions. The Vernors Bottling plant where we could stop for a Boston Cooler. Qwickee Donuts for lunch and a treat. A downtown Big Boys because that is where I ate lunch with my grandmother and Boblo Island because that is where I played as a child.
9. My magic wand would return Belle Isle into a clean and world class park for families again.
10. My magic wand would give Detroit a budget surplus and give us politicians who want to use the money to further the city and not pad their pockets.
OK. I am done. I am passing my magic wand to you. What would you do with it?