This is how big of a deal a Floyd Mayweather and Manny Pacquiao fight would be.
I got into a debate with one of my teenage daughter’s friends over who would win the fight. And she is a girl. FYI: She’s got Manny and I got Floyd.
This is one of the great sports events that many people are willing to pay for.
It appears as if the fight is going to happen May 2 in Las Vegas. The purse is going to be around $250 million with Mayweather earning a 60-40 split. That is huge money and will allow Mayweather to place more million bets in the Vegas sports books.
Here is the problem. The contract has not been signed and I fear something stupid will get in the way. We should have seen this fight five years ago when both men were really on top of their games. Mayweather is still one of the baddest men on the planet regardless of weight class but he has not knocked out anybody since 2011. Pacquiao’s last KO came in 2009 and he got knocked out by Juan Manuel Marquez.
It puts a little bit of damper on the fight but I am still going to watch it.
It will remove one thing from the sports bucket list that I would love to see. Here they are.
1. An eight team college football playoff.
2. The best 16 teams in the NHL and NBA get into the playoffs regardless of conference.
3. The MLB All-Star game no longer determines home field in the World Series.
4. Michigan-Michigan State in the NCAA Finals, regardless of sport.
5. Lions in the Super Bowl. We can only wish.